Small, Organic Veggie Bag - THURS
Farmer Stacey says "Eggplant and tomatoes go well together in so many ways, and soup is no exception. Cut the tomatoes in rough chunks and the eggplant into small cubes. Toss with olive oil and salt and roast until browned and cooked through. In a pot saute some garlic and onion. Add in the roasted veggies and some stock or water. Cook through and then blend half of the soup, leaving some pieces of tomato and eggplant behind. Top with parmesan cheese or croutons!
This week's small veggie bag for Thursday 8/13 showcases summer's abundance!
- 1 bunch cilantro - an herb that goes well with Asian or Mexican inspired cooking; chop and add to stir-frys or tacos!
- 1 pint okra or shishitos - Stir-fry the okra with TOMATOES, GARLIC, and CILANTRO. Put the shishitos on the grill until browned and soft.
- 1 head garlic - It's fresh and mild, garlic goes with everything!
- 1-2 lbs squash - Squash is the true jack-of-all-trades, put it in pasta sauce, on the grill, shaved thinly raw on a salad, the list goes on.
- 2 lb tomatoes - A classic summer flavor that we can't get enough of! Perfect for simple sandwiches with fried EGGPLANT, juicy salads, or flavor-packed soups.
- 2 eggplant - Cook into a ratatouille with the SQUASH, GARLIC, and TOMATOES.
The Farm at Sunnyside is managed by Stacey and Casey. We first met them at the Arlington Farmers Market in 2013 when starting Number 1 Sons. Stacey and Casey are phenomenal farmers and managers tending to the health of their land, soil, staff and our community with their nutritious + delicious vegetables. You may have eaten their vegetables at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market, Falls Church Farmers Market, The Dabney or A Rake's Progress :)
The Farm at Sunnyside borders the Shenandoah National Park - read more about their conservation efforts on their website. We love visiting Sunnyside and learning about cover crops, compost, field rotation, food safety processes, and working with a seasonal farm staff - Stacey and Casey excel at all these things!
The farm may substitute veggies if they run out. This rarely happens, but does happen from time time. Produce is measured by weight, so quantity may vary slightly from pictures. Sorry, we can't offer substitutions right now. Sunny Side