Seaweed Curry Soup Kit
Our seaweed curry soup kit in collaboration with Path Valley and Maine Seaweed is the perfect soul-warming meal to knock you out of the winter doldrums. The combination of umami seaweed punch with the warmth of curry spices is balanced out with creamy coconut milk and the sweetness of carrot and sweet potato. Each kit comes with enough to make 4-6 bowls of soup and will include:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 leek
- 1 head garlic
- 1 habanero
- 1 bunch scallion
- 1 bunch cilantro (tip from chef Justin: USE THE STEMS! So much delicious flavor and crunch in there)
- Makrut lime leaves
- 1 12 oz can of coconut milk
- 1 4 oz can of Maesri yellow masaman curry paste
- 1.5 oz of Maine Seaweed
1. Prepare your vegetables: dice onion, habanero (remove seeds if desired), and garlic; thinly slice leek, and cut carrots and sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch to 1 inch chunks (you want substantial pieces). Cilantro and green onion will be used to finish the dish, so you can do them now or wait, depending on how much mise en place you like.
2. In a soup pot, heat a good quality neutral oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and leek for 3-5 minutes (until they begin to soften)
3. Add curry paste, lemongrass, and garlic. Sauté until the aromas start coming through.
4. Add carrot and sweet potato and sauté 3-5 more minutes, moving things around to prevent the curry from burning
5. Add habanero, keffir lime, and enough liquid (water or stock) to cover your vegetables. Stir in seaweed. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
6. Cook until your carrots, sweet potatoes, and seaweed are tender, adding water if needed and seasoning to taste (25-35 minutes; low and slow is better here)
7. Turn heat down to low and add coconut milk. Stir to incorporate, add liquid if needed to achieve desired consistency, and warm through.
8. Ladle into bowls and garnish generously with cilantro and green onion
Pro tip: Take your soup to the next level with an umami glug of our special Son Fish Sauce