Pie Kit - TUES
Try these recipes for Apple Pie with Oat Crumble Topping AND Sweet Potato Pie with Ginger.
Each pie kit contains:
- 1/2 lb (approx 2 cups) rolled oats - Nutty and tender, these Sunnyside oats make a fantastic crumble topping for pie.
- 1.25-1.5 lbs (3-4 cups) whole wheat flour - Freshly milled from Sunnyside wheat, this flour is flavorful and hearty. If it's your first time baking with whole wheat flour, try subbing in some all-purpose flour to make the pie dough easier to work with.
- 8 organic baking apples - These pie-perfect apples are tart and sweet. Will be either Grimes Golden, Enterprise, or Gold Rush apples.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes - Steam or bake the sweet potatoes whole and then peel to use for pie filling.
- 1 piece of ginger (2-3 inches) - Grate on a microplane or fine grater and add to the sweet potato mixture.
- 1 small jar of honey - Using honey in place of the sugar in the oatmeal crumble topping adds extra flavor and nutrition. To replace 1/2 cup of sugar, use 1/3 cup of honey.
The Farm at Sunnyside is managed by Stacey and Casey. We first met them at the Arlington Farmers Market in 2013 when starting Number 1 Sons. Stacey and Casey are phenomenal farmers and managers tending to the health of their land, soil, staff and our community with their nutritious + delicious vegetables. You may have eaten their vegetables at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market, Falls Church Farmers Market, The Dabney or A Rake's Progress :)
The farm borders the Shenandoah National Park - read more about their conservation efforts on their website. We love visiting Sunnyside and learning about cover crops, compost, field rotation, food safety processes, and working with a seasonal farm staff - Stacey and Casey excel at all these things!