The Farm at Sunnyside - Tuesday August 11 Lineup
by Caitlin Roberts
August 11, 2020
Certified organic produce from The Farm at Sunnyside, which is just 75 miles from Washington DC. The large veggie bag is great for the person who eats most veggie-filled meals at home or the couple who cooks some meals at home!
French fries are a particularly delicious way to eat potatoes, but who wants to deal with all that oil? Roasting wedges of potato mixed with a generous amount of olive oil and rosemary makes for a pretty good substitute. Give them enough time undisturbed on the baking sheet to develop golden, crispy edges and then flip. For a special touch, grate some parmesan onto the wedges as they come out of the oven. Pair these with a tomato, cucumber, onion, and sweet pepper salad tossed with a tangy, vinegary dressing.
The large veggie bag for Tuesday 8/11 will delight you with
- 1 bunch dill or rosemary - Two savory herbs that pair perfectly with POTATOES. Make potato salad with the dill or roast the potatoes with the rosemary until golden and crispy.
- 1 box cherry tomatoes - Red, yellow, purple, or pink, these little tomatoes are like drops of sunshine! Eat 'em all fresh or make a confit with olive oil and garlic.
- 2 onions - These fresh spring onions are super sweet and are delicious raw and cooked!
- 1-1.5 lb squash - Squash is the true jack-of-all-trades, put it in pasta sauce, on the grill, shaved thinly raw on a salad, the list goes on.
- 1.5 lb potatoes - The first of our potatoes - Strawberry Paw! These have delicate skin and a creamy interior. Boil for potato salad with the DILL or cut into wedges and roast with the ROSEMARY for some crispy fries!
- 1 quart tomatoes - Slice 'em up thick and put onto toast with mayo. A classic summer lunch!
- 3-4 hot peppers - A mix of jalapenos, serranos, poblanos, cayennes, or fresnos. Add fresh or roasted to a TOMATO salsa for a kick of heat.
- 3-4 sweet and green bell peppers - A mix of green, red, and yellow peppers. All are delightfully snappy raw and the red and yellows roast up nicely.
- 2-3 cucumbers - Perfect for a cool and refreshing snack or mix with the TOMATOES and ONIONS for a chunky chopped salad.
The Farm at Sunnyside borders the Shenandoah National Park - read more about their conservation efforts on their website. We love visiting Sunnyside and learning about cover crops, compost, field rotation, food safety processes, and working with a seasonal farm staff - Stacey and Casey excel at all these things!
The farm may substitute veggies if they run out. This happens rarely, but does happen from time time. Produce is measured by weight, so quantity may vary slightly from pictures. Sorry, we can't offer substitutions right now. Sunny Side