The Farm at Sunnyside - Thursday September 24th Lineup
by Office Number1Sons
September 24, 2020
Certified organic produce from The Farm at Sunnyside, which is just 75 miles from Washington DC. The large veggie bag is great for the person who eats most veggie-filled meals at home or the couple who cooks some meals at home!
This week's veggie bags for Thursday 9/24 showcases summer's bounty! Make salads, grilled dishes, or crudités platters to your hearts desire!
SMALL VEGGIE BAG:
Farmer Stacey says "A big bowl of steaming ramen noodles is the way I want to warm up at the end of these cool days! Chop up some summer squash, eggplant, asian greens, and garlic and stir-fry until browned. Cook your noodles in broth and ladle into bowls. Top with veggies, fresh herbs, and finely chopped radish or turnip for a bit of crunch!"
- 1 bunch cilantro or garlic chives - Cilantro is the perfect garnish for a stir-fry or taco. The garlic chives are just like regular chives, but garlicky! They add a snappy kick of flavor to stir-frys, kimchi pancakes, or your morning eggs.
- 1 bunch asian greens - Bok choi, tat soi, or choi sum: these are all tender and delicious in stir-frys. Cook at high heat with EGGPLANT, SQUASH, and GARLIC.
- 1 head garlic - A clove of garlic a day keeps the doctor away? In any case it's delicious and spruces up any dish!
- 1-2 lbs summer squash - Slice into long batons and add to your stir-fry or add to a late-summer tomato sauce.
- 1 bunch hakurei turnips or radishes - Radishes are back - we can hardly believe it! Crunchy and slightly peppery, roast with butter and chile flakes for a sweet and savory side. Hakurei turnips are mild and sweet and just as crunchy!
- 2 eggplant - Great for the grill or a stir fry with GARLIC and ASIAN GREENS.
LARGE VEGGIE BAG:
- 1 bunch dill or chives - Onion-y and mild, chives are a classic on top of an omelet or whisked into a salad dressing. Dill gives a boost of flavor to creamy dressings.
- 1 bag greens mix or 1 head lettuce - You know what to do with this one - toss the greens together with APPLES and KOHLRABI spears for a refreshing salad.
- 1 bunch kale - Make a hearty salad with the DELICATA and APPLES or toss with oil and salt, and bake some crispy kale chips!
- 2 onions - These fresh onions are super sweet and are delicious raw and cooked!
- 1 delicata squash - A farmer favorite! As the name suggests, these winter squash have delicate skin and don't need to be peeled. Scoop out the seeds and roast slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- 1 kohlrabi - These alien-looking veggies are in the same family as cabbage and kale. Peel first and then eat raw with your favorite dip or chop into fine matchsticks for a crunchy salad with the APPLES and BEETS.
- 1 bunch beets - Roast in chunks and top with a tahini dressing and caramelized ONIONS.
- 4-5 apples - With red skin and juicy flesh, these late summer apples have a sweet flavor with a slight tartness.
- 3-5 peppers (sweet and hot mix) - Roast the colorful sweet peppers and use as a salad topping or a sandwich filling. Add some hot pepper to any dish for a kick of heat!
The farm may substitute veggies if they run out. This happens rarely, but does happen from time time. Produce is measured by weight, so quantity may vary slightly from pictures. Sorry, we can't offer substitutions right now.