THE FARM AT SUNNYSIDE FOR THURSDAY JULY 16
by Office Number1Sons
July 16, 2020
Certified organic produce from The Farm at Sunnyside, which is just 75 miles from Washington DC.
This week's veggie bags for Thursday 7/16 showcase the beginning of summer's abundance!
Here's the line up:
SMALL VEGGIE BAG
A chopped salad is a quick and crunchy meal when turning on the oven is the last thing you want to do. Chop large chunks of onions, cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes and mix with basil and a tangy dressing. Or make a bruschetta with tomatoes, onions, and basil and pile on top of some golden toasted bread. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- 1 bunch basil - A summer flavor that plays well with pasta and pizza, TOMATOES and SQUASH.
- 1 box cherry tomatoes - Eat alone as an irresistible snack or mix with the BASIL for bruschetta.
- 1 bunch onions - These fresh spring onions are super sweet and are delicious raw and cooked!
- 1.5-2 lbs squash or cucumbers - Grill the squash or dip the cucumbers into your favorite dip!
- 2 lbs tomatoes - A tomato-mayo sandwich is calling your name!
- 2 bell peppers - Purple or green, these early peppers are sweet and vegetal. Add to a raw veggie platter with dip or saute with ONIONS and garlic for the base to any dish.
LARGE VEGGIE BAG
With the arrival of hot peppers combined with tomatoes and cilantro all we can think about is tacos! Finely chop the jalapenos raw, then roast and chop the anaheims. Mix the peppers, chopped cilantro, and garlic in with the tomatoes for a fresh salsa. Saute squash chunks and mix with beans. Make a quick slaw out of finely shredded cabbage and carrots, cilantro and vinegar. Stuff it all into a tortilla and enjoy!
- 1 bunch cilantro - An herb that goes well with Asian or Mexican inspired cooking; chop and add to stir-frys or tacos!
- 1 bag salad mix or 1 head lettuce - A refreshing salad awaits - top with SCALLIONS and shredded CARROTS.
- 1 head cabbage or 1 bunch sweet potato greens - Shred the cabbage with CARROTS for coleslaw or chop sweet potato greens and cook as you would spinach!
- 3-5 hot peppers - The first of our hot peppers have arrived! You might get a mix of jalapeno, poblano, or anaheim. Add raw jalapeno and roasted anaheim to some TOMATO salsa with the CILANTRO. Stuff the poblano with cheese and beans and fry.
- 1 bunch scallions - Slice into thin rounds and top your salad or stir-fry.
- 1.5-2 lbs squash - Squash is the true jack-of-all-trades, put it in TOMATO sauce, on the grill, shaved thinly raw on a salad, the list goes on.
- 1 bunch carrots - Crunchy and sweet, these carrots are delicious raw shredded with her CABBAGE in a slaw to top some tacos.
- 2 lbs tomatoes - Chop and add to the salsa or make yourself a classic tomato sandwich.
- 2 eggplant - Grill in slices or roast and blend up into a baba ganoush to serve with CARROT and CUCUMBER sticks.
The Farm at Sunnyside is managed by Stacey and Casey. We first met them at the Arlington Farmers Market in 2013 when starting Number 1 Sons. Stacey and Casey are phenomenal farmers and managers tending to the health of their land, soil, staff and our community with their nutritious + delicious vegetables.
The farm may substitute veggies if they run out. This happens rarely, but does happen from time time. Produce is measured by weight, so quantity may vary slightly from pictures. Sorry, we can't offer substitutions right now. Sunny Side